These recipes for kids can be made by you AND your kids. You and your kids can have fun making meals together in the kitchen.
Chocolate "Burr"nana Pops
This delicious recipe makes 6 frozen bannana pops and are a healthy and nutritious alternative to ice cream.
- 3 bananas
- 6 Ice-cream sticks or plastic drinking straws
- 2 1-1.5 oz chocolate bars
- 1 Tbsp crispy rice cereal
1. Peel the bananas and cut the bananas in half, widthwise. Push an ice-cream stick (or straw) through the cut end of each half. Place in a tray, cover in plastic wrap and freeze (3hrs).
2. Break up chocolate bars and place in a microwaveable bowl. Cook on high for 1 minute. Check and cook for about another minute. Stir chocolate. Mix in cereal.
3. Dip bananas into chocolate mixture and coat them completely. Place pops on a plate covered with waxed paper. Return to freezer until ready to serve.
Pizza My Face!
Is your child a picky eater? We are sure they'll be willing to eat this healthy meal if they added their creative touch to it.
- Store-bought, fully cooked mini pizza crusts
Can't find mini-pizza crusts? Use full-sized versions, cut in quarters, your face can have a pointy chin!
Be sure to include one or two of the suggested foods below for each part of the face:
- Eyes: Sliced Black Olives, Pepperoni, Pineapple Rings, Peas, Cheese Cubes, Cherry Tomatoes
- Ears: Mushrooms, Sliced Bell Peppers, Small Pieces of Ham, Tomato Wedges, Sliced Onions
- Nose: Sliced Black Olives, Broccoli Top, Cauliflower Top, Pineapple Chunk, Baby Carrot, Mushroom
- Mouth: Bell Pepper, Pineapple Ring, Asparagus Spear, Onion Wedge, Tomato Wedge, Peas
- Freckles: Pepper, Chopped Onions, Sprinkled Parmesan Cheese
- Hair: Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Corn Kernels, Shredded Carrots, Ground Beef, Broccoli Tops, Cauliflower Tops, Peas
Crunchy Chicken Nuggets
Give your kids the chicken nuggets they want, without the grease often found in the frozen variety. Mix honey and mustard together for a zesty and healthy dip.
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1/3 cup greated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn onion powder
- 1/4 tspn garlic powder
- Dash of pepper
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1/4 flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
1. Preheat your oven to 425 F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Put corn flakes in a food processor and pulse until finely crushed. Mix with Parmesan cheese, salt, onion and garlic powder, and pepper.
3. Bread the chicken by coating in flower, egg and cornflake mixture, in that order.
4. Place chicken on baking sheet and cook for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Macaroni and Cheese Surprise!
Your kids will love this mac and cheese recipe. It's full of yummy, cheesy, goodness, and the the bright yellow coloring will make them think it's "bad" for them, when in fact, it's super healthy! The surprise: it's chock full of vegetable goodness!
- 1 16 oz box elbow macaroni
- 2 10 oz packages frozen pureed winter squash
- 2 cups lowfat milk
- 2 1/2 Cups mild or sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn powdered mustard
1. Boil a large pot of water and cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, defrost the frozen squash by placing it in large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stir in milk. Occasionally break up the squash with a spoon until dissolved in milk. While stirring occasionally, increase heat up to medium until mixture is simmering. Remove the pan from heat.
3. Stir in the cheddar, salt, and mustard. Pour cheese mixture over the strained macaroni and mix together.
4 Minute PB and J Cookies
Make these yummy cookies fast with your microwave!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp grape jelly
1. Add flour, peanut butter, sugar and butter to food processor and blend until combined. Add water so that mixture holds.
2. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on large microwaveable plate. Make an indent in each ball with handle of a spoon. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
3. Turn plate and microwave 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Indent cookies again with spoon and fill each with 1/4 tspn of jelly. Microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Cool on plate.
Repeat as needed with subsequent batches. Or roll dough into a tube and wrap in parchment paper. Freeze for later use. Kid not a fan of jelly? Remove jelly from recipe and consider adding dollop of honey over the cookies as they cool.